My Haiku Journal: National Poetry Day












Happy National Poetry Day 2018!!
So I feel apologies are in order, I am very sorry for the utter lack of posting over the summer. It is safe to say the past few months have been well… umm… transformative and with all transformations the journey has been challenging at times but I am sure worth while in the end. Going forward, now in the 2nd year of my 3 year PhD I am setting myself an aim of writing one blog post a month at least. Lets see how I get on 😊

Today 4th October 2018 is National Poetry Day here in the UK so I felt this would be the ideal time to post about a little project I am working on. I am sure I have mentioned it before but earlier this year I attended the WebSci18 Conference in Amsterdam were I was blown away by the inspiring work of Pip Thornton from The University of London and her use of poetry in her dissemination process. Influenced by this and the writings of  Helen Kara.

I decided to get creative when presenting at the Annual DTA Social Policy summer School this year using spoken word poetry and visuals to tell of my 1st Year PhD Journey. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qpfKLLs9zw&t=27s

I really enjoyed this process as not only is poetry a type of writing I find accessible with my learning difficulties but it also focused my mind, reflecting on key mile stones and personal developments, some of which may have gone unsaid if presented in the traditional formats.

It was very empowering to reignite a passion for writing poetry as this was something I loved as a child but due to continued criticism from adults regarding my spelling/grammar/phrasing, I became disheartened and internalised the belief it was not something I was capable of. Now I am older and wiser and possess a tougher skin to such criticisms it has been fantastic picking up the pen again and writing in my free time.

During my past few supervision meetings  the subject of keeping an academic diary has been mentioned. This referring to daily journaling of my PhD experience as a way to keep a hard and/or digital record of my journey that can be reflected on throughout the writing process as well as a memento of the growth achieved over the three years. Initially I tried the traditional diary keeping, this did not work, then I attempted to type up daily notes on my laptop, this did not work, on my phone, did not work, so I thought about scrap booking but never got round to it and then one day I thought what about poetry? 

Poetry is one thing I can happily write on a daily basis! Poetry is also something I can read with ease, unlike pages of scribbled notes or paragraphs of digital text. Short, neat, concise bodies of text that summarise activities, thoughts and feelings in a rhythmical way. So I decided to start a daily poetry journal, writing daily Haiku poems (5,7,5 syllables) 3 lines in length and thus far it has proved a success! I now have a 30 min period at the end of each day reflecting back on the day’s experiences and forming a short yet descriptive poem about the day. I am then able to look back over these to trigger memories of that day including thoughts, feelings, achievements and struggles. Below I have included some of my writings so far:

Meetings and Phone Calls
Attempting to find a space
Challenges and praise


Finally a plan
Clarity, comfort and hope
Writing begins now
© Charlotte Oliver 2018




I am really enjoying this process and I imagine I will look back over all these writings with fond memories of PhD years. I would encourage others to give it a go and see if it might also be a technique that works for them! If you do please tweet me @charlote_o89 as I would love to hear about your experiences.

TTFN

The Dyslexic Academic



Comments